The children of Meeker School District had something to celebrate on Friday, Sept. 17, as a fundraiser hosted by IHC Scott generated $6,900 in funding for the Meeker Education Foundation, a non-profit organization aimed at providing independent resources for the school district.
IHC Scott is a heavy civil contractor company that is currently paving Highway 13 between Craig, Colorado and Baggs, Wyoming. Their western slope division, based out of Rifle, hosted the “IHC Scott Scramble for a Cause” charity golf tournament for the benefit of the Foundation, which supports and funds educational and enrichment opportunities within the Meeker School District.
“I am overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone here today, and all of the event sponsors who made this astounding donation to the Foundation possible,” said Mary Strang of the Meeker Education Foundation, who was in attendance at the event and helped staff one of the fundraising booths on the golf course during the event. “I assure you that the monies raised here today will go directly into a Meeker classroom.”
The charity event was a spirited golf competition between eight teams from the events’ sponsoring companies, including the winning team from Bolton Construction of Meeker.
An enthusiastic group of nearly 20 Meeker Elementary School and Barone Middle School students were on hand to personally thank IHC Scott, event sponsors, and tournament participants for their generosity to the Foundation and their commitment to education.
The event would not have been possible without the generous financial support of participating sponsors:
- Title sponsors making the largest contributions: COBLACO, Core & Main, RodCo Concrete, and IHC Scott.
- Local business sponsors: Bolton Construction, Meeker Sand & Gravel, Grant Family Dentistry, McGuire Auto Parts, Wendll’s, Clarks, Meeker General Mercantile, White River Convenience, NAPA Auto Parts, Watt’s Ranch Market, Mountain Valley Bank, State Farm Agent Kevin Amack, Prescriptions Salon & Spa, and Northwest Auto Sales & Service.
- Business sponsors from surrounding areas: Grand Junction Winwater Company, Lindsay Precast, AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company, ATZ Construction Services, White Cap, CTL Thompson, Pretek Group, Wagner Equipment, Forterra, Casey Concrete, Western Slope Materials, Wylaco Supply Company, and Colorado Energy Systems.
- Donated services: Food for the event was donated by Chippers Downtown. Photography services were donated by Samme Purkey Photography.
Christian Baumgart, who serves as the western slope manager for IHC Scott, and Robert Rolen, who both live in Meeker, helped to bring the fundraiser to Meeker, along with Abby Capwell, IHC’s Rifle office manager.
“This is my community now too, and it has been such a great experience to work on this event with local companies and with some of our larger vendors and contractors to be able to give back to the community,” Baumgart said. “We hope to do many more events like this in the future to help give back to the communities where we work and live.”
The money raised will go directly into the classrooms of students in the Meeker School District.
Photos were provided by Samme Purkey Photography. Below is identifying information:
- Students from Meeker Elementary School and Barone Middle School thanking event sponsors and participants for the $6,900 raised by the “IHC Scott Scramble for a Cause” event on Friday, Sept. 17, at the Meeker Golf Course.
- From left to right: IHC Scott’s Western Slope Area Manager Christian Baumgart and his wife Melissa, Meeker Education Foundation’s Mary Strang, and John Murnan from IHC Scott’s Centennial office. They are pictured below a banner listing some of the event’s sponsors.
- Members of the winning golf team at the “IHC Scott Scramble for a Cause” charity golf tournament were from Bolton Construction in Meeker.